Introduction to Dryland
Introduction to Dryland teaches the fundamentals of technique through a series of exercises that breakdown and imitate the speed skating stride. These imitations allow skaters to focus on building their technical foundation, while also developing muscular strength and endurance in the down position.
This five week session is open to adults (18+), who are looking to speed skate in the fall, or simply add variety to their daily workout routine. Practices will be combined with members from the Wisconsin Speed Skating Club to encourage teamwork and community.
Class Dates & Times: Wednesdays from 5:30pm – 7pm
6/27, 7/11, 7/18, 7/25, 8/1
No class on July 4
Participants need to have completed one full session of Learn to Speed Skate, or a “Try Speed Skating” practice or event with his/her local program or club.
*Athletic shorts or long pants, short or long sleeve t-shirt
*Gym shoes and socks
*Consider bringing a light warm-up jacket or pair of pants. Workouts will mostly take place inside the arena on the black rubberized training surface. Indoor temperatures are cooler, usually around 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
*Bring a water bottle
Registration Cost: $30
Registration Cap: 15 participants
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, June 26 by 11:59pm
*Sorry, no refunds or make-up classes.
For questions, please contact us via phone or email. Phone: (414) 935-4770. Email: email@example.com
Learn to Speed Skate
If you have ever wanted find out what it’s like to fly around the Pettit Center Olympic Oval, a speed skating class is for you. Speed skating can be enjoyed at any age – youth, teen or adult. The Skating School at the Pettit offers the premier speed skating program for those who are comfortable with the basic skills of ice skating and want to go FAST on the ice!
Participants are grouped according to their skating ability and are initially divided by age. Remember, you don’t have to be a elite skater to learn how to speed skate, just have a some basic skating skill and experience.
Skills taught at each level include (but are not limited to):
Speed Skating 1 (Groundwork/Basics)
- Proper techniques to fall & get up
- Skate 1 Lap on Long Track without Falling
- Understand the length, safety rules of track etiquette for speedskating
Speed Skating 2 (Basic Position)
- Sit in basic position for 30 seconds
- Glide in basic position for 50 meters
Speed Skating 3 (The Straightaway Push)
- Sit in single leg basic position for 15 seconds with bucket
- Carve using all four edges
- Skate the straightaway in basic position with full extension to the side and fluidity
Speed Skating 4 (Racing)
- Learning of starting commands
- Demonstrate the proper starting position
- Execute a start
Speed Skating 5 (The Crossover)
- Standing Crossovers
- Glide in single basic position in the corner
- Glide in single leg extension in the corner
- Skate a full corner with crossovers (in a row)
Speed Skating 6 (Advanced Technique)
- Skate a full lap on long track with proper technique from start in 75 seconds
Levels 1-6 (ages 6 & Up) – $95
Online registration will close at 12pm the day before each day’s first class.
(Example: Saturday classes close on Friday at 12pm).
We will accept in person registration through the second week of classes (based on availability).