If you have ever wanted find out what it’s like to fly around the Pettit Center Olympic Oval, a speed skating class is for you. Speed skating can be enjoyed at any age – youth, teen or adult. The Sendik’s Skating School at the Pettit offers the premier speed skating program for those who are comfortable with the basic skills of ice skating and want to go FAST on the ice!
Participants are grouped according to their skating ability and are initially divided by age. Remember, you don’t have to be a elite skater to learn how to speed skate, just have a some basic skating skill and experience.
Each participant registered will receive one (1) free Sendik’s Skating School T-Shirt per season (not per session). The participant will pick up the shirt on the first day of classes and select the size of shirt at that time.
Skills taught at each level include (but are not limited to):
Speed Skating 1 (Groundwork/Basics)
- Proper techniques to fall & get up
- Skate 1 Lap on Long Track without Falling
- Understand the length, safety rules of track etiquette for speedskating
Speed Skating 2 (Basic Position)
- Sit in basic position for 30 seconds
- Glide in basic position for 50 meters
Speed Skating 3 (The Straightaway Push)
- Sit in single leg basic position for 15 seconds with bucket
- Carve using all four edges
- Skate the straightaway in basic position with full extension to the side and fluidity
Speed Skating 4 (Racing)
- Learning of starting commands
- Demonstrate the proper starting position
- Execute a start
Speed Skating 5 (The Crossover)
- Standing Crossovers
- Glide in single basic position in the corner
- Glide in single leg extension in the corner
- Skate a full corner with crossovers (in a row)
Speed Skating 6 (Advanced Technique)
- Skate a full lap on long track with proper technique from start in 75 seconds
Session II: November 1- December 18 (No Classes 11/22-11/27)
Tuesday’s November 1- December 13, 6:15pm to 7:15pm
Session III: January 7- February 16
Tuesday’s January 10- February 14, 6:15pm to 7:15pm
Session IV: February 18- March 30
Tuesday’s February 21- March 28, 6:15pm to 7:15pm
Online registration will close at 12pm the day before each day’s first class.
(Example: Saturday classes close on Friday at 12pm).
We will accept in person registration through the second week of classes (based on availability).